Translate

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Another month come and gone

Life continues to zoom into the next season.

Michael was gone for 8 days and I was alone with both girls. It was a loooong week. By the fourth or fifth day I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through the rest of the week. I did make it, of course. But it was rough. There were typical toddler tantrums. A recently potty trained toddler who still has accidents for no rhyme or reason. A nursing baby who often wanted to eat right when Ellie needed to sit on the potty or go down for a nap. Ellie missed her Daddy and often asked for him during crying fits or at bedtime. I've decided that the bedtime routine night after night is the most difficult part of being spouse-less.

My sweet Hazel is definitely learning to be a patient second child. It's often necessary to put her down, even in the middle of nursing, to tend to Ellie, and most of the time she patiently waits for me to return. The most difficult times are when she's fed up and mad and lets me know by crying or screaming. The worst of these moments seemed to happen around bedtime, when Ellie was in the bath or had an accident needing clean up. Ah. To be a second child and have to share attention...
But, we made it through the week. Michael has another long stint of work stuff coming up in the Northwest but luckily we get to join him and visit friends and family in Oregon while he works.
Hazel is 11 weeks old. Today she weighed in at 12 lbs. 12 oz. She's in the 75th percentile for height and weight, whereas Ellie was always about 50th for weight and 90th for height. It's fun to see their differences. She's been sleeping through the night for weeks. I feel bad (and guilty for complaining about anything) when I talk to parents who have older babies (sometimes even toddlers) because Hazel eats and sleeps like a pro. I usually feed her around 7PM and put her down for the night by 7:30 or 8:00. I wake her up once at 10:00 before I go to bed to feed her again, then she sleeps straight through until I have to wake her up between 7:30-8:00AM. Yes, I'm a lucky, lucky mama. We thought Ellie did well at this age and Hazel has outshone her. If it's any consolation to those sleepless parents out there, Ellie has been waking up a bit in the night with nightmares or something (mostly while Michael was gone), and also wakes up earlier sometimes in the morning due to potty training.
In between the hectic moments I'm trying to soak up this stage of our lives. The new baby that's not-so-new anymore and growing like a weed. She gained two pounds this month and is already wearing 6 month clothes. The potty trained girl who will be turning two in a few weeks. Ellie is growing and changing and amazing me more every day. She knows and recognizes all of the capital letters of the alphabet. (H-Hazel, D-Daddy, M-Mommy, O-Oscar, C-Cookie, etc.) Her vocabulary surprises me literally every day as she busts out new words. She's funny, sweet, and endearing. She loves being an older sister and adores Hazel, always needing to know her baby sister's whereabouts.

It's a precious, precious time.

1 comment:

home sweet here said...

I love reading your blogs! Its always encouraging to me your attitude towards parent hood. I feel like Im always talking about how easy my son is, and used to wonder if other parents resent my "bragging". instead i find that positive outlooks catch on; Which is what i think your post do. they bring out love for parenting and remind us what a gift it is. your children are blessed to have you and Michael. Even when you think your complaining you are still hopeful and positive. I know there are always those challenging moments, but its clear you and your children are happy. Our second child will be 21 months apart from our first come April. Reading your blogs about the adjustment has been helpful to me. while i dont know what the second will be like, i know with Christ all things are possible and the support of friends and family goes a long way. By the way your girls are beautiful! they look just like you! Hazel looks like Ellie's mini me! -Shannon eichler