Translate

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Birthdays and Dancing Cats and Mice

My oldest turned three this week.
Happy Birthday Ellie Grace!
It was a quick three years ago we were meeting our long-awaited baby girl for the first time. 
I'm so thankful for my sweet daughter who we waited for for so long. She challenges me and surprises me every day. Everyone has always said how much she looks like me, from the moment she was born. Not only are her physical characteristics a mini-mi at times, there are so many things that she seems to get from me too (for better or for worse).
She's stubborn and strong-willed. She feels her emotions strongly, something that has always been true about me. She's decisive and smart and a very quick-learner. She's creative and loving and sweet.
 There's nothing like giving your child a bike for her birthday to make you feel old and to realize how fast time flies with children.
 It was fun to have my mom and her husband here for Ellie's birthday. They got to experience a birthday party at the girls' school: Dora pinata, pizza, cupcakes, and chaos.
 Before her party the kids at school had one last rehearsal for their year-end closing program. It was fun to watch Ellie dance and participate. For the previous few performances at school, she's had some stage fright in front of all the parents and we haven't seen her participate much. 
(For a video of this rehearsal, click HERE).
During the performance, our little mouse cowgirl did great! She was supposed to be dancing with all the boys but they all just stood there. 
She tried her best to get them to dance. We were so proud of her for participating and not crying!
And then there were these three little cats from the nursery. 
She usually cries to the point of immobility when she gets on stage and sees me but this time was able to stay on stage for the whole song (I gave in and let her have her pacifier for the sanity of us all).
She even applauded at the end.
Ellie's best friend at school.
 Buddies.
 My little mouse cowgirl and gatito (little cat).

Ellie officially "graduated" from her class and will move up to the next age bracket when school begins again in January. Hazel graduated from the "cuna" (literally, crib, but used here as nursery).
In 6 months here in Guatemala they both have changed so much already. 

1 comment:

Jamie said...

LOVE all the pictures! How fast time does fly!