Translate

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Moving! Again!

Well, it's been a while since we've written on our blog.

To be honest, there hasn't been a lot to write about. We've been living in Colorado Springs and looking for employment. We have had a lot of fun living with Michael's sister and husband, and our niece Isabelle. But, from the job hunt end of things, it's been mostly discouraging and frustrating.

I applied to almost thirty jobs in town. I interviewed for a few. I was offered a job as a building substitute in an elementary school, but felt I should turn that down. Last week I was called back for a second interview for a middle school social studies job in town, and was offered the job. I was very excited, but I got the call from the principal at the same time Michael was on the phone doing an interview with MCC (Mennonite Central Committee).

Sometime at the end of June Michael got a call from MCC about a possible job opening at their west coast branch in Fresno. Michael had applied for a job with MCC in Washington D.C. last spring, but we decided it wasn't going to work for us financially and otherwise. Somehow this branch got Michael's resume and information and wanted him to apply for an opening with them. We hesitated at first, partly because we had just moved to Colorado and partly because we had a lot of other job applications out, and partly because we weren't sure if this would be too similar to the situation in D.C. Well, it turned out it wasn't, and Michael applied.

So, a week ago when Michael was on his phone interview, I wrote "I got the job!" on a sticky note and put it in front of him while he was answering a question. I was excited, but also knew that this job in Fresno was a good possibility. We basically had to get some kind of assurance from MCC that Michael was a top candidate and/or going to get the job before I felt alright with turning down a job offer, but I knew I needed to let the principal know quickly. We talked it through and felt at peace about me turning down a job offer here.

Today, Michael got the official word that he got the job!

So, we'll be moving rather quickly; he will be starting on September 1st. I have a phone interview tomorrow morning for an office job in the Admissions office at Fresno Pacific University. Michael's offices will be on that same campus, so we are really hoping and praying I get this job, because it would mean only needing one car and being able to commute to work together. I've decided not to try to pursue a teaching job in California. I already have three teaching licenses (PA, CO, and OR), and don't really feel like trying to get #4 quite yet.

We feel so blessed that the Lord has so clearly guided us up to this point, with Michael getting a job that he didn't even initially apply for, and all the doors here closing. We're really looking forward to settling down somewhere for a little while. This is the first time since we've been married that there is no end date in sight.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow...it just blows my mind that you are moving again...across the country!
What an adventure...but obviously, God had your stop in Colorado planned for some very important reasons!
Congratulations to both of you, and to be honest...we feel a little bit better knowing you are on the West Coast again! :)
Jlo (Mama of the Dragonfly House)

Tom and Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mikhal Rebekah said...

yayyy congrats you two! so happy to hear you got some clear direction. i'm excited for you!