Translate

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Office Time

I interviewed last week for a job working at Mennonite Brethren Biblical Seminary as the Administrative Assistant to the President and Director of Advancement. The interview went well, and they actually called me back later that day to begin reference and background checks, so I was feeling pretty hopeful about it.

Today I was offered the position, and I am going in tomorrow to begin orientation. There are some important meetings next week that the president would like me at, so that's why I'm starting so quickly.

The position is part-time. It used to be a full-time position, but due to cutbacks it's been reduced. At first I was feeling hesitant about only working part-time, but I've grown to like the idea. I've been surprised at how much I've been enjoying running errands, having the afternoons at home to relax, work-out, and get dinner ready. I think this will work well for now.

I'm looking forward to the job. There's been no one in this position for the past year. Actually, the old president resigned a year ago, and this new president has been interim until now, so there are some changes going on in the office. I will be working in a beautiful old house on the second floor, and I have a nice big office to myself, connected to the President's office. I'm excited to use my administrative skills to be organized and to help keep track of schedules and all the other tasks they will be throwing at me rather quickly. It sounds like there's been a need for someone to be back in this position, and I'm excited to work hard and do my best. I'm also thankful for this job, because there really aren't a lot of jobs out there right now, and the location and position I'll be in is perfect for where we are living. I've been slightly bummed out lately as I read all of my teacher friends' Facebook updates about starting school again and setting up their classrooms for their students, so I'm happy to have a job to focus on again. I'd love to be teaching, but I know this is where the Lord has us right now, and I'm ready for it.

2 comments:

Rick said...

Congrats, Melissa! Finally a job -- for both of you! Sounds like California is the place to be. Can't wait to visit in 2010.

Sherry said...

This has to feel good after all the uncertainties in your recent past. Blessings on you! They're "lucky" to have you on the team.