Translate

Sunday, March 28, 2010

First Trimester!



It's true, we are pregnant!

It's been a long road. After a miscarriage two years ago, "trying," having to put "trying" on hold due to traveling, school, unemployment, etc., and most recently, 12 more months of "trying"...

We finally took a pregnancy test that was positive!

We are so thankful and trust God's Perfect timing in this. We have a lot to figure out over the next 6 months, but again, we trust God's timing.

Some Highlights Up To Now:


-We took the pregnancy test when I was at about 4 1/2 weeks. We were both very surprised, (after a year of wanting a positive test you start to not let your hopes get too high) but it also helped explain why I had been falling asleep on the couch every night at 8:00 that week (I blamed it on starting a new job)! We decided to go out that night and celebrate, just the two of us. We bought a little baby outfit and just spent the next couple of weeks enjoying this little secret between the two of us.

-We slowly started telling family and a few friends, and I eventually told my work (hard not to as I was fighting quite a bit of nausea).

-We had an ultrasound (picture above) at 8 weeks, and were able to see the heartbeat. This was the first emotional hurdle for me, as we never saw an ultrasound in our first pregnancy. I was definitely emotional as we drove away after the ultrasound...so thankful to see a heartbeat and a healthy baby. I had definitely been "holding my breath" until I saw that heartbeat!

-The second emotional hurdle for me was waking up the day after 10 1/2 weeks, when we had miscarried before. I looked at the calendar and was so thankful to have made it through that day.

-The first few weeks after we took the test, I experienced quite a bit of heartburn, but luckily that faded, as the nausea hasn't yet. I feel "morning sickness" all day, but it's actually the worst for me at night. I finally changed toothpaste because anything peppermint was making me sick, and with brushing my teeth and my gagging, it was a terrible combination! We've been reminding ourselves all along that if I'm feeling sick, that's a good sign. It's been hard not to compare this pregnancy with my first, and I've definitely felt MUCH more nausea, heartburn, fatigue, and overall symptoms this time around.

-We are due October 13, and we couldn't be more excited! We feel so blessed and are so thankful. Not a day goes by that we don't thank God for this blessing. It's hard not to get overwhelmed with all that could happen in the future, but I guess that's what being a parent is about: for the rest of our lives we'll be worried about something to do with our child, and in turn, trusting the Lord in it all!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so happy and excited for you - Thank you for sharing the story!

amy b said...

Melissa, thanks for sharing. I also had a miscarriage with my first pregnancy at 13 weeks during a family vacation so I felt the urge to post and let you know that I've gone through all of those emotional hurdles too. My greatest support was my faith in God's plan and drawing closer to him and my husband. The best part of all is the blessing of my two wonderful children. This time I was pregnant during the same family vacation during the same time frame so it was really emotional again, but I could not be more thankful for His perfect plan. Thank you for sharing and congratulations!

Jeph and LeAnnes Blog said...

Thanks for sharing!! I get it..I also held my breath till after the ultrasound/passing the miscarriage point, but remember that enjoying this/documenting it, is so important! "He gives and takes away..my heart will choose to say Lord blessed be your name!!" Blessed be His name...we are so glad the trying is over and you guys are pregnant..."trying" is the hardest part sometimes always wanting a positive result. God's timing is so perfect, you guys will be so blessed! I believe that all that trying and waiting gave us a great pregnancy and an easy/quick birth...God is good, all the time! God Bless you three!

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you all!!! Baby's cute so far... =)

Lissa said...

Congrats!!! We are looking forward to meeting your little baby:)
praying that all goes well and that you will begin feeling better!
~Lissa