Translate

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Future Guacamole Lover

I am a literalist. (According to spell check that's not a word, but I'm making it one.)

I read all directions to everything. Repeatedly. And follow them literally. This includes instructions to things like my shampoo bottle, kitchen gadgets, recipes, games (I'm an avid, literal rule-follower when I play games)...basically, anything that comes with words to read and inform.

With the internet and the plethora of variations to everything under the sun online, I often find myself reading 17 different opinions about how to do something before I make up my mind (to the chagrin of my husband, who often gets to hear all 17 versions). Since having a baby, these habits have only multiplied.

For example, cloth diapers. I emailed friends, I read and reread articles and books, I read blogs, I read the instructions that came with the diapers I finally ordered (and still look over them from time to time), and after six months I can say that I finally feel comfortable with the process of how to clean them and use them properly.

That's my hope in this process: eventually, I become an "expert" at what I am researching and feel confident in my knowledge and skill level. With a new baby, this applies to everything from cloth diapers to nursing to pumping and storing milk to naptimes and sleeping strategies to eating strategies to the daily updates I receive from multiple baby websites about everything there is to know or not know about raising a baby.

Enter the next milestone I've been studying and preparing for: introducing solid food. First, I had to decide when this should happen (based on all the research, APA recommendations, needs of my baby), and then what to feed her, how often, organic or not, frozen or fresh, hand-made or store bought...the list is seemingly endless.

The good news is that we've entered the stage of solid foods, and after much research I am feeling ready to give it a whirl (and I feel like my daughter is ready). Hence, today Ellie got her first taste of avocado. No, not rice cereal, but instead green, smooth, creamy, pureed avocado. Verdict? Success! She loved it, though at times she was confused by the texture and taste:

Waiting patiently.

After the first bite, she grabbed the spoon and tried to feed herself. I wonder what this means for her personality as she gets older?



Happy girl.

In case you're curious, we've decided to go mostly organic and to make all of our baby food at home. I'm looking forward to all the new flavors my daughter will get to experience over the next several months.

4 comments:

The Isaac said...

Our kids' first food (aside from rice cereal) was also avocado. They still love it!

The Isaacs said...

Sorry, that comment above was from us, The Isaacs! :)

Krista said...

Oh, we are too much alike! ;)
And unfortunately I think I have learned (am still learning?) that when I think I've mastered something my kids throw a wrench in it. Or in the current case, we moved to a house with really hard water and I can't get my cloth diapers to stop stinking! :P

Unknown said...

Hello beautiful Great-granddaughter,
Grandma Nanu cried with great Joy as I watched and listened to the video. Some day I will get to see you in person; but this surely tided me over.
Tell Krista, all you girls should put 1/2 cup or more of Borateem in your diaper pail with the water to soak; and in the washer when you wash the diapers. It is a natural sanitizer and softener.
Hugs and lovins to each of you,
G-G Nanu aka G. Mary Clary