Translate

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Birthday Party Fun!

After weeks of planning and building momentum, Ellie's birthday party came and went yesterday. The cake was baked and decorated, homemade ice cream made, presents bought, Mexican food deliciously prepared, and friends arrived to our home.

Besides Ellie's giraffe-print dress, which I made, her giraffe cake was one of my proudest moments. Not only did it look adorable, but it tasted fantastic as a super moist carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Thanks to our friend, Emily, for helping with the cake, and to Michael, who helped with the overall shape.


I also threw together a mini cake for Ellie to eat:

Ellie was her usual happy, chatty self. She loved all the kids running around, loved the balloons, and was a ham, giving me her cheesy grin every time I asked for a smile for the camera. (And now, any time she hears the word "cheesy," she gives me the cheesy grin, as in, "Wow, these enchiladas are cheesy.")



I didn't get to take as many pictures as I wanted, but here are a few. We have some video we are going to try to post soon.

We decorated with pictures of Ellie (notice the big, ugly tree in our back yard).



We were curious how Ellie would do with us all singing to her, because in Colorado we did a "practice" birthday party and she did not like us singing to her:

This time, she did well:

She was a little unsure about eating the cake. She mostly squeezed the cake and frosting in her fingers and the majority of it ended up on her lap. I'm not sure if she took more than a bite or two. I'd like to think it's because she eats so healthy that she wasn't interested in sugar.



We tried to get a family photo, but Ellie decided to generously rub my face with cake:


The party was officially deemed a success. I am still processing the emotions of my baby turning one. Maybe I'll blog about that later.
In the meantime, Happy First Birthday to our Sweet Ellie Grace!

No comments: