Translate

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Fast Food

I went to a fast food place for lunch with the girls. I immediately noted differences between this experience and being in Guatemala.

First of all, there is basically not a single fast food restaurant in Guatemala (and a majority of sit-down places like Pizza Hut), that doesn't have a playground or play area for kids. Because there are no parks or safe public places for kids to play, the restaurants all have something. It's a given.

Today I took my girls to the only option in this town that had a play place. I had to drive around town to find one. Impressively for Oregon, it was an outdoor one with a cover.

I noticed that a small or regular size meal here is a medium or large in Guatemala.

Also, refills. I have no idea why, because I worked in the restaurant industry for years and I know that soda is super, super cheap, but, there were basically no refills anywhere in Guatemala. It wasn't standard. We would get tiny cups, and no refills.

Afterwards, Ellie said to me, "Mommy, you order in English here." Yup. True. The girls are still a bit in awe that we use English for EVERYTHING.

Not only did I get a huge cup today for a "small" meal, but I could fill it as many times as I wanted. Also, WAY too many french fries.

Oh, America.

No comments: