Translate

Saturday, January 24, 2009

An Unexpected New Passion

This week we’ve been able to get into more of a routine. We have been getting up at 5:30 to work out with our roommate, Chrissy, and the Thomases, every other morning. Michael and I have always been night owls, but since we got here we have been in bed by 8:30 or so most nights.

I work in the school Tuesday through Friday, from 8 until 12. I am working individually with a couple of the girls who are in a specialized reading program. I am also teaching science and history to the younger girls (a second grader and two fourth graders). I’m really enjoying the opportunity to actually plan lessons again.

On Wednesday I went to a meeting (after a no-show from the director twice) to begin the English Program (to teach local teachers English). I sat there for almost two hours as they discussed, in Kinyarwandan, the purpose of the English program. They introduced me, as one of the two teachers (the other being the director).

On Thursday I met with the director for an hour before the first meeting. We had discussed the need for some kind of test to divide the group into beginning and advanced English speakers. I came with a plan, after doing much research online. I gave the 30 students a list of questions, orally, and had them write their answers. I asked simple questions, such as “are you married?” and “what is your job?” and a little more complex questions, such as, “what do you like to do for fun?” (Most had no idea what the word ‘fun' means). After the first part, I asked students individual questions to hear them speak so we could evaluate their speaking skills. We determined that there will be about 10 students in the beginning class and 20 in the advanced.

After finishing this first day with the students, I came home energized and extremely excited. These teachers are so eager to learn English. For many of them, their job depends on it. And for others, they lost their jobs because they cannot speak English well. The one difficult part of this all is that ONLY ENGLISH can be spoken during the entire class time. It is difficult to try to explain something in English when I can’t reference their own language for help or translating. I am forced to be very creative and clear when teaching anything.

In the States I have never really gotten excited about the idea of teaching English, or ESL (English as a Second Language), but here it is so different!

On Friday I prepared my first real lesson. We kept both groups together. I taught the days of the week, the months of the year, and basic greetings and introductions. The class went so well, and I can’t believe how much I am loving it. I feel so excited about teaching English, and feel like I am doing it well. The students were laughing and asking questions. Their homework assignment was to come with some questions for words and phrases they wanted to learn in English. This part was fascinating. I was asked geometry terms from a math teacher, what the name of a house builder is (and to explain some of the tools they use), and how to explain the steps to making tea (each of these questions came from people who will be in the advanced class).

The only disappointing part about teaching English is that I am attached to these students already, and will have to say goodbye in less than three months!

2 comments:

Krista said...

What fun! I am really jealous!!!

Luke and Stephanie Welbourn said...

I knew you would love it! I'm so excited that you are getting to try your hand at ESL. I think it's a great fit for you! We're praying for you guys!