Translate

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

DIY Christmas Gifts

This year for Christmas I wanted to make as many things as I could. I got a sewing machine last year and was ready to put it to use. Here are a few of my creations. Most of these patterns I found online, so I linked to each page if you want to try to make one yourself. I had tons of fun coming up with ideas (always the hardest part of DIY) and seeing how each creation turned out. I'm pretty proud of each one!

Felt glasses cases, which were fun to stitch by hand.

For two of my nieces I made these super fun purses, and made a little matching doll version for one niece's new American doll. I put their initials on the front.

For my nephews I made sports pillowcases.

Reusable snack bags in a variety of different fabrics. I can't wait to make more for us to use.


A beach bag made from a hand towel.

I also made one of the pincushion jars, but I forgot to take a picture.

Two vintage book travel-tech organizers. I went to our local thrift store and asked to go through the books in the back not worth selling. I did this because I was planning on ripping out all the pages and the books out front are usually in good condition. Plus, I found more fun, old books in the back. The other book I used but didn't get a picture of was a college typewriting textbook. Talk about vintage!
I think this was a Spanish/English book on diseases:

The picture is upside down, but you can see where the cell phone can go under the four strips on the left. The idea is to have all tech gear stuff in one place (what looks like a book) while traveling: headphones, phone, chargers, cords, etc.

I made our newest niece an activity blanket. This is the only thing I've made where I literally had no pattern and made up the entire thing in my head. I started with some fun, bright fabric that had different textures. I added tags around the hand-sewn letter A (which her names begins with) and added some cellophane behind the A and the flowers for some added noise.

The cutest little models ever:

I didn't make this for Christmas, but I've been meaning to post pictures of my latest car seat cover that I made for my college roommate's little boy. This was my second car seat cover but this one is reversible. I'm looking forward to making one for our own little one arriving in June.



I can't wait to continue using my sewing machine to come up with more fun gifts.

No comments: