Translate

Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Letter to My 16 Month-Old

(I wrote this letter to Ellie in her journal, but decided to share it).

Dear Ellie,

You are becoming such a big girl! You are 16 1/2 months, and you are so curious about everything. Every morning when we get you out of your crib, you stand and point to everything, telling us what you see, or asking for us to tell you the word. You say so many words and literally learn new words every day. You also have almost 30 signs. It's so fun to teach you!

We love your laugh-it brings us such joy! You are very into playing with your blocks ("bocks") and can sit for a long time stacking and playing. You are very tender and sweet with your baby dolls. You kiss my belly because we tell you there's a baby in there. I am so excited for you to have a little sister! I already imagine the fun you'll have, and the trouble you'll get into. It will be crazy at times, I'm sure, but I look forward to seeing you as a big sister. At the same time, I keep trying to soak up our time together. There are only months left of just the three of us, and you will never remember life without a sibling.

A few days ago I was determined to plant flowers with you. You see flowers and we call them "pretty," and you had so much fun digging with your little shovel and "helping" me with the dirt. It was a bonding time and a precious memory for me.

In general, you love "helping" me. You use the broom and "sweep." You take cloths and "clean" the tables. Compared to other kids your age, you really seem to be able to focus. We sing the "clean up" song and you help pick up your toys and actually put them away! You've surprised people with that.

I have so much fun with you and can't imagine working or not being home with you. It's brought me more joy than anything before in my life.

Tomorrow it will be exactly one year ago since I quit my job (gave them notice). It was the best decision. I can't imagine anything but being home with you: coloring pictures and building towers with your blocks and having play dates ("play play play," you always say it three times).

What an honor to be your mommy. Your personality is emerging more every day, and I love seeing glimpses of this little person you are. You are stubborn and I foresee some tough moments ahead, but you are also extremely tenderhearted, sensitive, intelligent, a quick-learner, and usually very responsive and obedient. You just don't like being told "no!"

There are so many decisions I make as a parent, and I know I don't always make the right ones. I hope and pray you'll give me grace as I learn to be your mommy.

I pray I will teach you to love Jesus, to follow His example, and to love others with grace and compassion. Your middle name is Grace, and I pray you never stray far from God's gift of grace.

I love you more than words can say.

Love, Your Momma

(Trying to sign "thirsty" with silly gloves on.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet Melissa! Your daughters are very blessed to have such a caring momma. Ellie will be a wonderful little lady with your example. Blessings to your family as you prepare to become 4:-) -Shannon Eichler