Translate

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Big Girl Ruby

Hazel started going to daycare at 9 months when we first arrived to Guatemala. I've been beyond blessed to have had so many extra months at least partially at home with Ruby, working from home and having time with her. Ruby has been at home with an employee three mornings a week, and the plan has been to transition her to the "school" sometime after Easter.

Recently we went to check out Ruby's potential class and teachers. We happened to get there right when they were doing "class" time, and it felt shocking to see little one-year olds sitting at a table, listening to the teachers count in English in what felt like a formal setting. Little kids should be playing, and after already feeling like my girls have way too much schoolwork, this felt over the top.

I started questioning our decisions, our plan. What is best for her? She has such a sweet little relationship with Rosa, our employee. They are buddies. Ruby loves her and even after I arrive home after a few hours away, she's content to hang out with Rosa. We've been blessed with this arrangement.
Ruby with Rosa
After our visit, I called a friend who has more insight into the school, and it helped to hear about the schedule and the routines. We must have arrived in the small window of time where the kids are seated and "learning." The morning starts with toys and games and playing, followed by music and more time outside. Recreation time. And then snack. A few days a week they go to the "baby gym" (room full of foam pads, a ball pit, and a slide). Then they have a short time in class doing little projects and learning numbers or colors or animals, followed by rest time, where some of them will nap and the others will rest and end the day with more playing.

Today I took Ruby to "test the waters" during recreation time. She loved every second of it. She made a beeline for one of the little drivable toy cars and climbed in all by herself. I walked away and got out of sight, while still able to watch her. For half an hour she played alongside her teacher the whole time. When I walked up to her afterwards she was happy and smiling, "talking" to me and pointing to the toys and slides.
Oh man, did that do my Mama heart some good. I really needed peace about this process, and I got that this morning.

Tomorrow morning she'll go again for a bit longer, play with the toys and stay for a snack time too. Then on Monday she will begin officially for the full morning. She'll be in a class with 5 other kids, a teacher, and a teacher's aid.

After debating for weeks, actually months, I'm at peace. She is a social little girl. She loved playing and being outside and being around other kids. I think it will be a really good fit. Most importantly, she will be safe. The teachers are well trained and know what they are doing. The facilities are all clean and well taken care of. She will learn and play and grow.

It's time to transition yet again, and this Mama is finally ready. (Mostly. I will most assuredly still cry when I drop her off on Monday).

Ruby is ready too. She seems more independent every day. The other day we were out on our front patio and the gate was partially unlocked. She pushed it open and headed out on an adventure. I followed her and she sped up, trying to hurriedly get away from me. She was off! I told her adios and waved good-bye. She turned around, waved good-bye, and continued on her way.
(Waving)
Adios, Mommy.
Yeah, she's ready, even if I'm not.

No comments: