Translate

Thursday, June 28, 2012

40 Lunar Weeks

Today is my due date. 

Yes, I know it's statistically unlikely to have your baby on the actual due date. Still, I'd bet every pregnant woman keeps their eye on the calendar and counts down for 40 weeks to D-Day, and then feels deflated as the sun goes down on the golden day.

I know she will come "in her timing," as I've heard several times in the last few days.
I understand that hoping to go into natural labor and deliver on my due date is not likely.
I am aware that my due date is more of an "estimate" than a guarantee.

But knowing all of this doesn't make today any less frustrating or disheartening, especially after my doctor's appointment today. My doctor told me nothing has happened in a week (despite my walking twice a day, sitting on the ball, and trying to move around a lot). 

In fact, his exact words were, "it looks like your uterus just wants to stay pregnant forever." Is that supposed to be helpful? 

The plan if I don't go into labor on my own is this:

Tuesday I have another scheduled appointment. At that appointment I will have a non-stress test and I think an ultrasound, and if everything looks good I will have a couple more days to try to go into labor on my own. If nothing happens I will head to the hospital Thursday or Friday. My doctor might break my waters and let me try to go into labor before heading straight to a C-section, but we will discuss that next week if it comes to that.

Obviously a lot can happen in the next several days, so here's to hoping this baby decides she's ready to make an entrance!

No comments: