Translate

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Little Sickie

Even though we have gotten our one-year old to finally sleep through the night (most nights), I have yet to have a solid night sleep since this change occurred.

I've been sick since before we started with her sleep training, so I have yet to enjoy it. My nights have been restless, between a severe sinus infection, and my other girls being sick.

Poor Ellie. She had an ear infection a few weeks ago, did a whole round of antibiotics, and it seemed at bay. Then last night her earache came back with a vengeance. She couldn't sleep, was crying and uncomfortable and in pain for several hours into the night. Michael spent a while with her back and forth in her bed and on a mattress on the floor. We parents can't catch a break, either.

At one point I sat in her bed, cradled her in my arms, and stroked her head. She fell asleep quickly, a rare feat for my girl who, like me, takes a long time to get comfortable before falling asleep.

I sat there holding her, trying to remember the last time I held her like that. In my head I could remember holding Hazel, as she fell asleep for her naps that way until about a year ago, when Ruby was born. But Ellie, I simply couldn't remember. She's my oldest, my big girl. I can remember my sweet girl, my firstborn, holding her and nursing her. I remember the emotions and full heart of holding my first baby, wondering what she'll be like as she grows up. But that feels like eons ago.

It's so cliche, but time just flies.

For weeks Michael and I had planned to go to Antigua today to share about MCC's work with a group of university students from Whitworth (Spokane, Washington). Instead, I stayed home with Ellie. She's currently sleeping in our bed. It's noon, and she has been in bed all morning. This is so unlike her, even when she's sick.

Once again, we called the pharmacy and ordered her a stronger antibiotic. Gotta' love free delivery of antibiotics to your front door.

In her delirium this morning, she's only asked me about one thing. Hazel. "Where's Hazel?" At school.

"Mommy, when Hazel gets home, can she come give me a hug?"

If there's anything sweeter, I don't know what it is.

Also, I asked her if I could hug her, since Hazel wasn't available. Nope. A kiss? Nope. I guess she wants the lovin' from her sister.

No comments: