Translate

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Tecun Uman

We traveled on Sunday to Nebaj, Guatemala with our team. It takes about 5 hours of driving in our large 16-passenger van, plus a couple hours to stop for lunch. I planned to post pictures today, but I'm still not feeling well. On Tuesday morning, the day we returned, I started feeling nauseous and sick to my stomach. Of course, on the way home, a few of us were sick, and we had to stop on the side of the road several times.

Not a fun way to drive home after a team retreat.

I'm mostly feeling better, though I'd say my stomach is not 100%. Last time we went to Nebaj, the girls got lice. We haven't had the best luck traveling there recently. Ah, well.

On another note, I spent my evening working on a costume for Ellie for school tomorrow. The Kinder classes (her grade) have been practicing for a presentation at school to celebrate Tecun Uman. February 20th is a holiday that celebrates the legend of this Mayan warrior who battled against the Spanish conquistadors in 1524, and the school does some kind of celebration. The kids wear what look like Native American headdresses, and I'm not really sure what else they do.

I was given very specific instructions of how to make Ellie's "Quiche princess" dress out of one of Michael's white t-shirts and shiny paper.

Done.
 

No comments: