Translate

Friday, February 5, 2016

Since My Scale Broke

It's been 4 weeks since I had energy to do a workout, and I had to that night, despite feeling down and a cold coming on, because I really wanted to get my 12,000 steps for the day. Someone in my FitBit Workweek Challenge was right on my tail, and I HAD TO WIN. I did.

But since then I've been sick with chills and sweats and fevers that turned into a nasty sinus infection on one side of my face, and then the other. Every time I think I'm almost better, something else knocks me out. It's frustrating to get old and have your body not act how you want.

It's also frustrating to have specific fitness goals and to have to put them on hold for an entire month. Then throw in the previous month of December and holiday eating and being inactive, and it feels like I've probably gone backwards.

We bought a new scale yesterday because our scale broke in November. That's the last time I weighed myself.

I wasn't super excited to weigh myself after not doing much for several weeks. I assumed I probably gained weight, which would be frustrating after working so hard to get it off.

When I started with my FitBit in May, I had an original goal of losing 15-20 pounds, and once I completed that in September, I had a second goal, another 15 pounds. Since October (when I blogged about this) it seemed I had hit a plateau, and was within a few pounds of my next goal, but couldn't get there. Then our scale broke and I have had no way to monitor for a few months.

To my surprise, I lost another 4-5 pounds since November, which means I met my second goal!

Since June, I've lost 34 pounds.

I can honestly say I have less than 10 pounds to get to my ideal weight (it's a weird term, but people keep asking me if I'm "at my ideal weight") and it feels within reach. If I can get back into my running routine, keep eating better portions and not snacking late at night, I think I can get there this year.

I told my husband that it's not about a number anymore, it's about my goal of running a half-marathon and simply staying where I want to be. OK, so maybe it's still about that final number somehow, but I'm ready to work hard and make that final plunge, and focus on good habits to maintain a healthy me.

Also, I wanted to share an update. After my blog post in October, I had several people tell me they were inspired by my post, and many even got FitBits (I totally should get a commission). I'm now in about 3 different weekly competitions with FitBit friends (there's a limit of 10 people per group), and more friends keep joining. It's a fun way for me to connect and have accountability with friends and family from thousands of miles away.

What are YOUR fitness goals? The first step to achieving them is sharing them and writing them down!

No comments: